As we move into the next few weeks, our staff will begin to look toward the 2020-21 school year. Teachers, administration, and other professionals working with Prospect Lake students take all of the information, gathered during meetings throughout the year and through our work with the students, to help build classes that meet the needs of students in the best way possible.
We value the ongoing dialogue throughout the year regarding your child’s social-emotional and learning needs, during
- Informal Parent /teacher conferences
- School-Based team meetings
- IEP or Behaviour planning meetings
- Meetings with other professionals such as our OT/PT/SLP/Counsellor, Psychologist
Through many sessions, collaboration and planning, classes are tentatively created prior to the summer break and revisited in August and September. We take into consideration the following:
- Learning Needs- areas for support and enrichment
- Learning Environment- e.g. multi-age classes allow us to place students to develop new friendships, mentorship /leadership opportunities, teaching style to suit the learner
- Social Relationship- good buddies may not make good classmates. We make every effort to consider students being placed with others to benefit the learner and learning environment
- Composition- to the best of our ability we consider balance of gender, behaviour, social-emotional, learning needs and balance of numbers for multi-age class and overall class size
Based on all of the above, I encourage parents to only make a class placement request in situations warranting special consideration. Your request and rationale will be considered during our class building process; however, please note that no requests are guaranteed.
For special circumstances, please connect with your child’s teacher or by email to the school Principal, Ms. Anita Ko, at email@example.com by June 12, 2020 , including:
1. Your child’s name, current grade and current teacher.
2. The nature of your placement request. Please do not name specific teachers.
3. The special learning, social-emotional, and/or other needs warranting special class placement consideration.
Thank you for your trust and support in the complex process of class building.