PROSPECT LAKE ELEMENTARY
Oct 18, 2017
As part of the district emergency preparedness, we have procedures in place to ensure the safety and well-being of your child (ren) and staff in the event of an emergency. The students at Prospect practice fire drills, earthquake drills and lock down/hold and secure drills throughout the year.
The students have participated in 2 fire drills and earthquake drill to date. As part of the Great Shakeout drill today, the student's practiced Duck, Cover and Hold and counted to sixty following a shake.
We will walk through a practice Lockdown drill next week.
EARTHQUAKE Emergency Preparedness
Parent info - What to do in the event of a significant earthquake:1. Listen to local radio stations for updates.
2. If there is electricity, check the District and school website for any updated information, including bussing updates.
3. DO NOT phone the school—we will do our best to be in contact with you as soon possible.
4. If you are able, come to the school—there will be staff members to meet you at a Checkpoint near the entrance to our roundabout.
Be forewarned that the roundabout will be closed to all but Emergency vehicles.
5. Students will be released to parents/guardians or people identified as Emergency Contacts through staff members. School staff has established routines for their orderly release (Following calm, orderly procedures will help all children feel less frightened). Please wait patiently at the identified Checkpoint until a staff member retrieves your child(ren).
6. If you are unable to come to the school and there is no Emergency Contact, your child(ren) will be kept at the school with staff supervision until arrangements for pickup are made.
7. Prospect Lake has emergency supplies and equipment for 48 hours and has a communication system with our School Board Office.
LOCKDOWN or HOLD AND SECURE
1. If the school is in Lockdown or Hold and Secure, do not call staff or students on personal cell phones.
2. Do not drive immediately to the school for your and your child's safety. School access routes must remain clear for emergency vehicles. If the school is in Lockdown there will be no access in or out of the school.
3. The staff will be directed by local authorities. Any emergency instructions regarding the status of the students or school will be posted on the District website: www.sd63.bc.ca or broadcast through CFAX 1070 AM in particular. In some instances, it may be necessary for staff and students to be evacuated to a reception area and you may need to pick up your child.
4. Do not directly seek out your child (ren) as school staff has established routines for their orderly release (Following calm, orderly procedures will help all children feel less frightened).