Friday, February 12: Non-Instructional Day – Students not in session

Upcoming  

Monday, February 15: PAC Meeting

Wed & Thu, February 17 & 18: Early closure days. School is out at 1:48 PM

Friday, February 19: Non-Instructional Day – Students not in session

Wednesday, February 24: Pink Shirt Anti-Bullying Day

Friday, February 26: Hot Lunch Day – Red Barn

School News  

SD 63 Public Budget Meeting will be Thursday, February 18th at 7:00 p.m at Bayside Middle School - Multi-Purpose Room. If you want to learn more about how education funds are being allocated in our district, consider attending this meeting.

Spring Musical: Thank you to all of you who have already brought props for our Spring Musical! If anyone has access to two wooden handles that can be used to make toy axes please bring them in to the box in the Multi-Purpose Room. If you want to see what other props are still needed please got to: http://flask.io/j5vR9

Community News  

Free Emergency Preparedness Presentations: Saanich is offering FREE Emergency Preparedness Presentations over the next few months. When disaster strikes, your chances of staying safe, healthy and comfortable are much higher if you're prepared. These 90-minute presentations offer the information you need to prepare yourself and your family to survive for up to 7 days following a disaster. Each household participating will receive a free workbook to take home.

Course Dates

Saturday, February 20th 1:00 - 2:30 PM Cedar Hill Recreation Centre

Register for course #745405 at 250-475-7121

Wednesday, March 30th 7:00 - 8:30 PM Pearkes Recreation Centre

Register for course #733204 at 250-475-5400

Wednesday, April 20th 7:00 - 8:30 PM Gordon Head Recreation Centre

Register for course #745404 at 250-475-5400

The next FORCE Society Parent Meeting is Thursday Feb. 18th. The group will be watching a webinar by Lynn D. Miller PhD, RPsych, Associate Professor in the Education and Counseling Psychology and Special Education department at UBC for parent discussion afterwards. The topic will be Anxiety.  Anxiety disorders are the most common form of psychological problems reported and can interfere significantly in the lives of children.

This talk will help to:

-Increase awareness of the anxiety disorder spectrum,

-Identify basic behavioral indicators of anxiety in children,

-Develop a preliminary understanding of the current research,

-Understand the efficacy of psychological treatment and be aware of techniques that are useful to implement immediately with an anxious child and become aware of resources in our community.

Date: Thursday Feb. 18th

Time: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm

Location: Saanich neighbourhood Place (inside Pearkes Rec. Center)   RSVP: Lisat@forcesociety.com

Recipes & Tips

For those of us who always hear “Fine” after this question:

25 WAYS TO ASK YOUR KIDS “SO HOW WAS SCHOOL TODAY?” WITHOUT ASKING THEM “SO HOW WAS SCHOOL TODAY?”

#1.  What was the best thing that happened at school today?  (What was the worst thing that happened at school today?)

#2.  Tell me something that made you laugh today.

#3.  If you could choose who would you like to sit by in class?  (Who would you NOT want to sit by in class?  Why?)

#4.  Where is the coolest place at the school?

#5.  Tell me a weird word that you heard today.  (Or something weird that someone said.)

#6.  If I called your teacher tonight what would she tell me about you?

#7.  How did you help somebody today?

#8.  How did somebody help you today?

#9.  Tell me one thing that you learned today.

#10.  When were you the happiest today?

#11.  When were you bored today?

#12.  If an alien spaceship came to your class and beamed up someone who would you want them to take?

#13.  Who would you like to play with at recess that you’ve never played with before?

#14.  Tell me something good that happened today.

#15.  What word did your teacher say most today?

#16.  What do you think you should do/learn more of at school?

#17.  What do you think you should do/learn less of at school?

#18.  Who in your class do you think you could be nicer to?

#19.  Where do you play the most at recess?

#20.  Who is the funniest person in your class?  Why is he/she so funny?

#21.  What was your favorite part of lunch?

#22.  If you got to be the teacher tomorrow what would you do?

#23.  Is there anyone in your class that needs a time out?

#24.  If you could switch seats with anyone in the class who would you trade with?  Why?

#25.  Tell me about three different times you used your pencil today at school.

Source: SimpleSimonandCo.com Blog

If you have any feedback or questions, please email your PAC at prospectlakepac@sd63.bc.ca .